“We are busy during the summer, how much time will NFL Flag Football take?”
- The season is only 6 weeks long – running from mid-June until the end of July
- If a player misses a game or practice, there is no penalty – every player will get a chance to play all positions and will get a lot of playing time
- This program allows our local kids to be a part of something BIG, the NFL, without requiring a huge time commitment
“Can I sign up my child if we live in St. Helens?”
- This NFL Flag Football league is currently one of a few official NFL Flag programs in Oregon
- It is open to any player who is willing to drive to Scappoose for weekend games.
- This includes children from Scappoose, Warren, Sauvie Island, St. Helens, Columbia City, Deer Island, Vernonia, and all other surrounding areas (Portland, Beaverton, Hillsboro, etc) – each year we have been welcoming more and more players from outside Scappoose and are happy to welcome them to our community for this fun program!
“When are practices?”
- Tuesdays and Thursdays are designated as practice days for NFL Flag Football in Scappoose. The football practice fields and the JV baseball outfield at the high school will be available on these days from 6-7pm.
- This is a recreational league – practices are not mandatory. If your child cannot make it to a scheduled practice, he or she will not be penalized playing time and every player will get to play each position.
“When are games?”
- There will be 5 games during the season and each will be held on Saturday from 9am – 1pm. There will be no games during the weekend of the 4th of July.
- Detailed game schedules will be created but the general times for each season are as follows:
* week 1 games (June 25, 2016): 9am: K-1st graders, 10am: 2nd-3rd graders, 11am: 4th-5th graders, noon: 6th-8th graders.
* week 2 is 4th of July weekend so no games
* week 3 games (July 9, 2016): 9am: 2nd-3rd graders, 10am: 4th-5th graders, 11am: 6th-8th graders, noon: K-1st graders
* week 4 games (July 16, 2016): 9am: 4th-5th graders, 10am: 6th-8th graders, 11am: K-1st graders, noon: 2nd-3rd graders
* week 5 games (July 23, 2016): 9am: 6th-8th graders, 10am: K-1st graders, 11am: 2nd-3rd graders, noon: 4th-5th graders
* week 6 games (July 30, 2016): 9am: K-1st graders, 10am: 2nd-3rd graders, 11am: 4th-5th graders, noon: 6th-8th graders
“I’d like to be involved but I don’t know enough to coach a team. How can I contribute?”
- Parents are encouraged to get involved. We can provide training to anyone who would like to coach but lacks experience. Here are the qualifications: 1. you don’t mind organizing kids, 2. you like to play – that’s it!
- We will provide any inexperienced volunteer coach with enough guidance to make coaching flag football a lot of fun: 1. High school athletes may be able to volunteer to help coach teams, 2. Individual assistance is available upon request. If you would like help setting up and or running a practice, contact us and we can arrange to meet with you to discuss how we can be of assistance.
- Please contact us at info@flagFB.com if you would like to find out more about becoming a coach.
“What is the total cost to play?”
- The cost to register for NFL Flag Football dependins on the date you submit payment. If you pay before April 2, the cost is only $55; if you pay between April 3 and May 25, the cost is $65; and if you pay after May 25th, the cost is $85. The cost includes a jersey, a set of flags, and a mouthguard.
- There is no mandatory fund-raising, however, league t-shirts, sweatshirts, and other items are available from the concession stand during games to help offset costs to run this program
- We are also lucky to have some generous sponsors from the community to help keep the cost this low. Please take a moment to visit their sites and consider using their products or services.
- Full refunds are only available up to May 25th (after that time a partial refund may be available on a case-by-case basis)